e107 Coders.org :: Forums :: E107 Plugins :: Suggest a Plugin

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>  
Work Board Plugin Suggestion          
Author Post
Zed
Thu Feb 26 2004, 02:21AM
Registered Member #3487
Website

Im a coder, but not a php one.  I write projects and Would like a plugin similar to the PHPNuke Mod known as "Work Board".  Work Board allows users to post in a block on their site the progress of current projects and also has links they can click on to see information soley on that project and the stats and progress just on that current project.  I have the website to the Mod so maybe you guys can port it (with permission of course) or write something very similar to it :)

Anyways its just an idea for someone who wouldnt mind doing it.  And Id greatly appreciate it.  The site for the mod is http://www.nukescripts.net/ (there are several versions of the script for multiple versions of PHPNuke/NSN-Nuke ; and you must be registered to download) and here is a link to a "Work Board" in action http://funportal.beanwebb.com/modules.php?name=Work_Board.  Anyways I think that would get alot more coders (other than PHP) interested in running a website using the e107 CMS.  It would be of great use to me and im sure many others :) So at least consider it.

Thanks in advanced,

Zed

[ Edited ]
Arach
Thu Feb 26 2004, 05:56AM
Registered Member #75
Well zed, actully we have that idea floating around the last few weeks, and I think something will emerge out of it in the near future (1-2months). We did recognize the need for it, because we had multiple ppl working on the same type of projects with no feedback, or knowledge ... you get the picture.

Thank you for posting those links! I will look into that.
Arach
Thu Feb 26 2004, 06:11AM
Registered Member #75
Hey Zed, I just looked at it (seen the client display of course), and since I don't run Nuke at all, could you fill me/us in on the basic layout of its administration part. Mainly do the MEMBERS assigned to the project edit the project details, or does it have to be site's admin? Screenshot would help ;) my email is available....

From what I've seen, and the idea I've had, this Nuke module looks rather basic in features, but also the looks department is rather crude... so, let's kick it. :)
[ Edited Thu Feb 26 2004, 01:16AM ]
Zed
Fri Feb 27 2004, 01:53AM
Registered Member #3487
Well Arach :) It seems as if only the admin can set the project details. I dont know this first hand but i got friends who run this module and from what ive heard its all admin based.

Something really cool would be something like a "Jobs" thing added to it, where an admin can set a bunch of jobs (this could take advantage of the E107 Class System i.e. only a group called "coders" can do this or whatever groups you chose). The Project can be assigned to various groups (instead of members) and any member of that group who wants to participate in the project and is in part of the group can opt in.

As for the jobs I was mentioning, the Admin can set a jobs list (optional of course) and members who opt in to the project can select a job they want to be. Then one of two things could happen 1) The Admin would verify the person for the job [manual activation] or 2) It would automatically give them the job [automatic activation]

Both would be nice to have in a mod. Also it would be nice if each member of the project can set their own comments/details of the project so if you dont wanna view the admins preset Project description you can click on a members name, see his/her job and how much of his/her job has been complete + his details on his job/the overall project.

Anyways Im just floating out ideas. As stated above I really dont do any PHP coding (Sorry for the poor grammer above, my doctor has been giving me some pills for a virus i had and it screws with me really bad sometimes.) so you may wanna get a team for this or someone else to help you. As for the ideas, i can give you all you want/need so if you want me around let me know.

Anyways :) love to hear from you about this, so please respond or PM Me.
Website
Arach
Fri Feb 27 2004, 07:21AM
Registered Member #75
Thank you Zed. Officialy,- it came to me to write this. On #e107 the other night, we kinda decided (or I did - can't remember). Anyhow, I already have a initial draft done. Also, we agreed to have Categories included from the start (because *someone* will always ask for that).

As far as starting: only ADMIN can create a project. Then ADMIN puts one member to be designated Team Leader, and THAT person, when browsing Projects page(s), will see a small link {My Projects} . By clicking it, it will take him/her to the administration part, where they can edit any/all projects they currently lead.

In essence: Each project will have 3 tables (heh, I'm not sure if I normalized those properly, but looks good to me (at least to start the project)), with main columns being: pTitle, pSummary, pStartDate, pStatus, pPercentageCompleted, pLeader, pMembers ... then those values form a nicely styled table for ONE project. Same little table contains a link to DETAILS, where it opens a page with (ta-da) Details of the project: (that's 3rd table) pOverview, pDocumentation, pFiles, pTasks/pMemeberTasks (not decided yet if I want that from the start -> secondary table will be easy to change later)... anyhow, that's it for now. Oh, almost forgot table 2 -> it's just pCatID, pCatParentID, pCatName... self explanatory...
Stay in touch. :)
Zed
Fri Feb 27 2004, 03:12PM
Registered Member #3487
What about the Job system I mentioned?

I like your whole initial draft :) it sounds better than what ive ever imagined. I guess You and Me should talk via AIM sometime about this. My Ideas + Your Skill = Gold! [haha]

Anyways as for the Job system, I like the team leader and things, but why cant you (as implied in my post above yours/this one) open a project up to a E107 User Class/Or everyone and all someone to "Opt In" as the Team Leader. You can either let it automatically accept people or require admin "activation" to allow people to become part of a project. If its admin activation it should allow multiple people to apply for the same job and the admin can pick one (or many) to do the same job.

You should have it so multiple people can have the same job or allow admins to set a number limit (i.e. Team Leader [2] People Needed or up to 2 people can be Team Leader). Also for new projects you should create some kind of like uh... "Resume" Page?

Now of course these are ideas, the number system can be ruled out if you automatically allow anyone to become anything (i.e. infinte peole can be anything) or the Job system if you dont see it fit.

As for this next thing I think you should REALLY put it in their. When you open up a project (admin/team leader/whatever) you should have the project have like a resume page, i.e. Project Description, the ETA or Time You Have to complete the Project, The Skills Needed for the Project, and what the Team Leader/Admin is looking for In a person for the project. Make this resume page optional because People may want to do One Man Projects without team(s) so it would be pointless to have it automatically because it would piss people off (like me because I want to use it for both Single Use and Group Use Projects). Also the "Resume Page" would have a link where you click to apply for a job. The jobs would be listed in a combo box (or a list box set? So you can apply for multiple?) And From there you can actually fill out a "Resume" for the Project and post it on a forum thats only visible to the admin and team leader.

Yeah its sketchy but we can talk about it later on AIM or Via Email. My AOL/AIM name is listed in my profile so add me to your buddylist and we'll talk (i added you to mine but it was very recently).

Anyways Talk to you soon Arach,

Zed

[ Edited Fri Feb 27 2004, 10:14AM ]
Website
Zed
Fri Feb 27 2004, 03:23PM
Registered Member #3487
[note to coders/e107: fix the quick reply system, i tried editing my last post and the format of the post was lost and i didnt want to reformat it so i just posted below sorry for the double post]

One quick Idea that just hit me before I go; Its a "Submit a Project" thing. Its one of those links you can add to the Tree (like submit news?) but people who dont have a website or are freelance coders and need a place to release their stuff; can "Submit" Projects to the Admin for Review. If the admin accepts the project he can Notify the person (via Email/Post on a private form**/PM/whatever). The Submit a Project Thing would have spaces for things like Project Name, Project Description, How Long it would take before it would make its first release, and things of that Nature. Also It can have an optional spot for something like "Possible Jobs" where if they are already organized and want a team or something they can list some jobs they have in mind and they will be automatically added as jobs if the project is accepted. (they are of course the team leader so they can edit them or change them as they see fit after the project is accepted). It should also have a checkbox/some option that states that its a single person project and not a group project; if they wanted to work alone.

**Post On a Private Form - The reason I keep mentioning that is because alot of sites dont have SMTP Servers or cant send mail via SMTP servers because they are locally hosted (or host themselves). Usually their IP Ranges (as in the entire public IP range that the ISP assigns out to people) is blacklisted on those spam email lists (cant think of the name) but alot of email providers like Yahoo and Such read from those global lists and so alot of email will not go through.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF