e107 Coders.org :: Forums :: Misc :: Hosting Stories

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>  
Fatcow          
Author Post
Penguin Comrade
Tue Oct 06 2009, 10:55PM
Registered Member #89853
Website
I've had nothing but slowness and downtime when it came to their hosting service. I should've gone elsewhere but absolutely loved the name and the fact that my domain would be registered with tucows, I love cows, cows are pretty but that's a story for another time. I also signed up because well I saw a lot of good reviews about it and very little bad reviews.

Now, their support is great but the hosting is lacking a bit. Quite often will MySQL go down and sometimes (not very often) will the host entirely go down. Though all the time the host is slow at least since I signed up September 13, 2009. At first I figured "well this is just one of those bad days" and it'd clear up and everything would be fine the rest of the time but nope. In fact it wasn't, now I never really submitted a ticket about the slowness up until recently as now it's really starting to annoy me how the slowness never seems to clear up and when it does it's only for that brief moment.

I decided to do a bit of a bench mark, compared my friends hosts, my free host and fatcow.

So here we go, feel free to check it out for yourself.
Free host [link] :
[link]
Lowest time: 37 ms , Highest time : 45 ms
Average of all 12 times: 40 ms
Average of middle 10 times: 40 ms

Friend #1 shared hosting paid host [link] :
[link]
Lowest time: 31 ms , Highest time : 52 ms
Average of all 12 times: 34 ms
Average of middle 10 times: 33 ms

Friend #2 shared hosting paid host [link] standard plan:
[link]
Lowest time: 34 ms , Highest time : 37 ms
Average of all 12 times: 36 ms
Average of middle 10 times: 36 ms

Fatcow:
[link] [PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE MOVED TO A DIFFERENT HOST SO THIS SPEED TEST WILL ONLY SHOW THE SPEEDS OF OUR NEW HOST. ARVIXE IS OUR NEW HOST.]
Lowest time: 94 ms , Highest time : 379 ms
Average of all 12 times: 157 ms
Average of middle 10 times: 141 ms

Now I mean I'm all for "You get what you pay for" kind of stuff but this, this is even worse than what I got for free. Speed and stability wise. Up time however is about the same as my free host.

I suppose I'm just a bad egg so I can't say that I would recommend it but since it's a case by case scenario I wont say I don't recommend it. Maybe you'll get lucky and have no problems with Fatcow but I've had nothing but problems. Guess I'll wait a couple more days before I attempt to get a refund.

[ Edited Wed Oct 14 2009, 05:05AM ]
eleljrk
Mon Jan 04 2010, 02:13PM
Registered Member #105242
I can repport that FatCow and x10hosting is the best hosts i ever seen! (FatCow got the best offer as Shared)

Check x10hostings CVS for a powerfull CVS option, and their awesome free hosting.

But FatCow is the best low price offer in the world, i think. Nice post! (Even when ur sceptic)

[ Edited Mon Jan 04 2010, 02:15PM ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF