Forums

e107 Coders.org :: Forums :: Misc :: Hosting Stories

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>  
110mb.com - stay away !          
Author Post
wattaman
Thu Jul 26 2007, 05:39PM
Registered Member #46451
So I started to build my e107 site in ianuary this year and hosted on the 110mb.com. They offered a lot of bandwidth and that's what attracted me. Also msq, smtp (for 50 forum posts) and fsockopen + own domain name hosting. And that was enough for me. The site was fully functional in the february.
Anyway, until then, I kept improving it so in the end it was some kind of portal with everything. So I basically worked all the time on that site, I reached 2500 users, another 500 into a site directory (plugin) and some other 350 into a toplist (also, integrated into e107).
But slowly-slowly 110mb.com started to charge for services and to impose new restrictions. All the things they say were free, when I opened the account and sent them the ID/bank account copies, are not free anymore. Sometimes they deleted my domain cause it has more then 200 visitors/day (they say is a new rule) but the 110mb.com subdomain was functional !?! I recently received a message telling me to pay for mysql now, cause it will not be free anymore !!! I didn't upgrade, cause I had a remote copy to use, so I said to myself they can delete de database (hopefully they'll not extract the emails of my users and spam those guys - but who knows:()
Two weeks ago my site just gone away and also my account. I can't login to my account and have no site now. And I do know it was not hacked cause I used only my computer to login (which is pretty safe) and it was not breaking any of the 110mb.com rules. So I sent email to them, also opened help ticked request and posts on their technical support forum. My emails still have no answer, my ticket support just 'dissapeared' and my forum thread got locked: [link] .
All this made me guess that they're starting to clean the servers of those people who didn't give them any money, probably they don't want to be free anymore. I didn't needed to pay for any upgrade cause I was happy with the free hosting plan, even with all those restrictions coming from nowhere, I managed to find an alternative sollution for my site to work. And I even displayed their banner on my pages, in sign of appreciation :)
Now, like I said before, I have no e107 site (must build a new one) and it seems those guys just ignores me. So I must start to build the site again, maybe faster now, cause I have a half year experience, lol...
So, my advice for anyone is: don't host your site on 110mb.com cause you might just have the same faith. If you have a free site on 110mb.com, make fast a backup and start to build it somewhere else. If you don't want to leave 110mb at least have a mirror site prepared somewhere else. The first advice: if you can afford it, choose paid host from the start - I didn't wanted to pay cause my site was non-profit, so it wouldn't seemed right to me to pay for it. But I was wrong, cause I've just losed half year, not only an e107 site.
I do hope this will not happen to any of you.
Good luck!
cryonu
Wed Aug 01 2007, 08:14AM
Registered Member #84801
i too dont like 110mb.com first of all they have too much restrictions which is not good for building community and secondaly they do not provide backups, i am very old member of 110mb.com but i have not used that site much due to layered panel, i hate layered panel, Cpanel is much better than layered panel.
smithey253
Fri Aug 03 2007, 03:12PM
Registered Member #79332
I am also a member of 110mb hosting and im disgusted about the amount of things they are making us pay for. Luckily, i get my mysql for free as I sent the email right at the start. If they start charging for anything else, im going to have to move. Im only 15 and I dont really have the money to spend on paid hosting.

can any of you reccomend a free host that doesnt have all these restrictions and is good enough to stay up and running for at least a few years?

thanks alot.

smithey
Butcher.
Thu Aug 09 2007, 12:11PM

Registered Member #76943
I have tried to move all my crap to another host: newsit.es but I had to use a very old .sql backup, since I can't get the current and they ignore support tickets. My first backup of the database was uncomplete and messed again because 110mb's own designed phpadmin doesn't always work, but a yet older backup seemed to import correct on newsit.es, though there are errors so pages loads very very slow. !amazed
Website
Butcher.
Fri Aug 10 2007, 12:12PM

Registered Member #76943
Coincedently I found that some files were missing when moving site. So pages were loading slowly searching for pages not existing...

110mb should be wasted for wasting peoples time! How do u crack their promises and ruin their stab?

[ Edited Sat Aug 11 2007, 02:36PM ]
Website
YoungSir
Mon Nov 19 2007, 05:08PM
Registered Member #82830
lol i just realized that if they get 9.95 from every member, probably well in the 1000's, they will be rich bastards!
Penguin Comrade
Thu Dec 27 2007, 01:04PM
Registered Member #89853
Nothing more but a bunch of greedy people I say. I was on 5gbfree.com but Rob (original owner) sold it to some company that doesn't seem to care about its users, 5gbfree.com you need to definitely stay away from that host too, he was also the original owner of 110mb.com as well but he also sold that to some company apparently. Yeah those 2 hosts are just going downhill very slowly.
Website
Butcher.
Wed Jan 02 2008, 09:22AM

Registered Member #76943
:p I paid for the mysql access through MoneyBookers.com and everything is running faster than ever before! Only x10hosting.com can be just as fast, but they are down very often and often your site is suspended!

U could try 110mb.com and find an alternative mysql route from somewhere else....
Website
wattaman
Sat May 17 2008, 08:39PM
Registered Member #46451
After some thinking I've just realized that all the free hosts that offer the option to "upgrade" are actually only resellers/affiliates that are trying to make your life harder so you'll upgrade using their affiliate links or even the hosting companies themselves.
It should be more safe to host a site on a forced banner/popup/link hosting service, since they're earning something from you and might just let your site run normally. However, since nothing is free, 110mb.com stories like "we're backuped by 2 strong companies" (whatever) won't make any sense; I haven't find until now of any company or individual that provides free hosting 100% free or without asking something back.

Myself, I've decided to pay for hosting, in the end. I've found a good deal, 1,5$/month for the 10 year package, at Iweb. I hope they're serious and won't dissapear in 1-2 years :)
123akshay
Mon Feb 21 2011, 06:42AM
Registered Member #112139
Hey guys thanks for the reviews, i would stay away fro 110mb and 5gbfree

Audi Coupe AC Compressor
Website

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF