e107 Coders.org :: Forums :: Misc :: Hosting Stories

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>  
Hosts....          
Author Post
Butcher.
Mon Jul 16 2007, 04:38PM

Registered Member #76943
Website
One always get trouble with maintaining a website, so who doesn't think of how everything would run on another host. This thread is about running a website on 2 servers to test results.

An obviously advantage about having the same content on 2 sites is, that if one host fails in some way, u still got it all on the other too. With a Header Location string u can easily redirect users to another host without them noticing it, so u can have only one open at a time, while the other one redirects.

I just thought that my 110mb.com host was running too slow for too long times while others said the same in their forum, and after installing it all on 8tt.org it seemed faster at first, but then after a couple of days it strangly went just as slow as on 110mb.com. The only problem with my site on 8tt.org is, that page counter doesn't add visits.

It's easy enough to transfer written stuff from site to site, with download and import of .sql database. But since u have it all in small .sql textfiles u can also easily by mistake drop the whole database and upload it to the wrong host and drop that database too and finally erase all temporary files on harddisk. Old backups seems preservative.

But sometimes it's more difficult to transfer files of pictures etc. to the other host, cause they are usually spread in the directories, and u don't want to copy several megabytes because of just af few files, so...
Butcher.
Tue Jul 17 2007, 09:09AM

Registered Member #76943
%-6 Here's the stupid little torn: The installation guide list those files and directories u have to set permissions to 777. And with filemanager u can change permissions for Owner and Groups [read write run] :? and maybe still wonder about what 777 in the guide means. So it doesn't work for some reason!

Fx. e107 demand permissions for directory plugins/log/logs set to 777. And if u just set plugins/log/logs to 770, it say ok from the install.php first running. I think it even said ok just by setting the upper directory to write permission for groups.

But when u then may try ftp connection with explorer and find out that directory attributes can be set for not only Owner and Groups but also Users, u see the torn. For some reason though, the server won't allow explorer's ftp command to change anything before it's own filemanager has set Groups permission for write enabled for the concerned directory or u have to create a new directory with explorer's ftp, change its attributes and move all files. Please... I'm coming!!!
Website
-=Azn-Devil=-
Tue Jul 17 2007, 12:14PM

Registered Member #39632
Very stupid idea!

Just get Paid Hosting, and put ad banners so that it pays for itself.

[ Edited Tue Jul 17 2007, 12:17PM ]
chrisd234
Wed Jul 18 2007, 09:52AM
Registered Member #82243
Or host the site on your own computer. if you have broadband that is.
Website
Butcher.
Sat Jul 21 2007, 07:06PM

Registered Member #76943
The new host 8tt.org has just come out with an error, that the domain has expired: all my stuff there, others too, is just gone...
Website
Butcher.
Wed Jan 02 2008, 09:12AM

Registered Member #76943
If you are programming/developing your website, it could be a good reason to have it all on two seperate hosts - not to loose customers when your test site goes down. Currently I keep mine on 110mb.com (though MoneyBookers I paid anonymously for mysql access), x10hosting.com + freeweb7.com. And if I move, I don't redirect anymore, I simply use a uni.cc domain and change the dns settings fore relocation! !amazed

I find that mysqlcommander is the best tool (freeware) to move mysql data along with all other files, but there are 2 good reasons to use the stand-alone php program and not the plugin for e107 when using it:

1: The restore function in the plugin dowsn't work
2: If u move your entire site to a new host, u would need to install e107 first in order to use the plugin to use the restore function (which currently doesn't work), but if u use the stand-alone, u can restore it all without using install.php for e107 first... !amazed

[ Edited Wed Jan 02 2008, 09:14AM ]
Website
123akshay
Mon Feb 21 2011, 06:23AM
Registered Member #112139
I agree with azn devil

Audi 200 AC Compressor
Website

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF